Sunday, September 12, 2010

Day 58 - The Best Winter Veg Coleslaw


Today we went to my grandparent's house for my grandpa's birthday and I needed a recipe to make to go with the lunch which was grilled steak, chicken, and mashed potatoes. I chose cole slaw because I thought my grandparents would like it, and other people in my family like it. But I don't really like it.

We didn't do it at my house today, we did it at my grandparent's house. I got to cook with my grammy which I thought was pretty fun because I don't normally get to cook with her. She showed me how to use a new tool for lemons, but I'll tell you about that later.

Now you're probably wondering about the recipe. You have to get cabbage, radishes, a shallot, fennel, red onion, dill, mustard, plain yogurt, carrots, lemon, and I think that's all. What happens is cut the cabbage, then cut it to fit in the food processor.

You put it on the shredder.
You shred your two cabbages, which is regular cabbage and red cabbage. Then you shred the carrots, radishes, and fennel. Mix those together. Then chop the shallot.

You mix that together. We ended it up chopping some of it really fine in the food processor, because the shredding wasn't working so well with some of it.

But then the fun part was making the sauce to go with all those vegetables. What you do for the sauce is get 1 cup of plain yogurt, dill, and 1/2 of a lemon (I used this really awesome thing that my grammy showed me. It was wooden and you stab it in the cut lemon and twist it and the seeds come out, so you have strain it, but you so much juice. I had fun with that tool.).

Then add salt, pepper, and 2 tablespoons of mustard. And you put in a giant lug of olive oil.


You pour that over all the vegetables and mix it together.


I thought this coleslaw was okay. I give it 1 THUMB UP. My grandpa gave it 1 THUMB UP also, because it was too finely chopped for him. Next time the cabbage should be more chunky. My grammy loved it, though. She gave it 5 THUMBS UP.
Grammy's gluten free squash casserole, grilled chicken, my coleslaw, and mashed potatoes.

What I've learned is that each person has different taste buds!

That's all. Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment