Sunday, June 19, 2011

Summer 2011, Day 2: Strawberry Smoothie Love



To Whom May Read This Blog...


As you probably all know, I'm Sophie. The reason why we didn't do our Kid's Cooking Challenge over the school year is because we were really busy. But now it's summer so we're starting it up again.

I started by going to a Califoria Strawberry convention where I learned all about strawberries and how to use them and what's in them. They're pretty amazing because they actually carry a lot of vitamin C, antioxidents, and fiber. I know we're doing Ellie Krieger this summer for our cooking challenge, but I wanted to sort of make my own, using the California Strawberry Cookbook.

The smoothie was really easy and quick. Like usual, we didn't have all the ingredients, so I improvised. We didn't have strawberry juice, plain yogurt, basil leaves (we had them, but I didn't want to add that or the pepper spice). What I did instead was I put in some frozen mangos, strawberries, a cup and a half of ice, some milk, and some strawberry yogurt.


Then I pureed it in the blender. A dietician, who is a guy-etician since he's a guy and most dieticians are women, I guess, said a smoothie is a good lunch or breakfast...or even dinner.


It was a really easy recipe. You just put it all into a blender and puree. It was really tasty and it fills you. And it was very healthy. No ice cream. No presercatives. And I learned that if you freeze fruit, or buy frozen fruit, you don't actually lose much of the good stuff. There's still a lot of good stuf in the fruit, or vegetables, too.


I give this 2 thumbs up, and will make this again.


PS, my oldest brother, who's very particular about his smoothies, said this was a very good smoothie. He thought there were bananas in it, but I said no, they were mangos.


I suggest you feed this to your family.


This is the book by the Guy-etician, David Grotto.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for coming to the CA Strawberry event, Sophie! I love smoothies and will have to try this combo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    I missed your posts, but school´s first. So that´s ok. I´m a Brazilian mother of two boys and journalist. I live in Brazil, in São Paulo, a very big city (population: 15 million people!) and I read your posts every. I like so much your journey. Congrats!
    Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks delicious, Sophie! I like how you improvised ... I do the same thing all the time.

    Shirley

    ReplyDelete