Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Day 80 - A Thanksgiving Feast

 It has been quite a while since we have posted about our cooking.  But that is not to say we have not been cooking.  Don't judge people by their lack of blogging.  The reason why we have not been blogging much is because we've been quite busy.  More than busy, actually.  Super duper busy.  My parents went to San Antonio.  We stayed with our Grandparents.  Plus school.  And after school stuff.  Plus I got sick with bronchitis 5 weeks ago and it did not get better until about 3 days ago.

Today's the 80th day of our challenge.  We're going to cook and blog occasionally because it's so busy for us.  I don't know if it is for you, but it is for us and so we hope you like our blogging when we do it.

Okay, onto today.  Today my mom and me have made multiple things.  Since tomorrow is Thanksgiving and 24 people will be having dinner, we have to prepare tons and tons of stuff.  I'll name the things we are cooking:

  • Stuffing
  • Pumpkin Cheesecake
  • GF Rolls
  • Pear Butter
  • GF Pumpkin Bread


I think that is all.  Phew!  That is a lot.  We haven't done the pear butter, nor the rolls yet, and trust me, making all that other stuff takes a long time, people.

Before we could make the Pumpkin Cheesecake, we had to make GF gingersnaps.



Because the recipe calls for gingersnaps for the crust and we had to make it GF for my brother.  So we did GF gingersnaps from this good cookbook.

Then I made the crust by crushing the gingersnaps.



Then came the filling which called for some kind of thing called Frangelico which we did not have because we can't buy it in our town.  We didn't have any substitutes for that stuff, so my mom called our neighbor and she had almond extract and that would do the trick, so thank you, Mrs. Spratlen!



I will post the recipe tomorrow if it tastes good.






Putting on the sour cream topping


Then we made stuffing.  Of course I am vegetarian and won't eat the sausage or turkey or anything for Thanksgiving.  My brother does not like stuffing so we didn't make this GF, but I made mine vegetarian.  My mom helped me make a vegetable broth.  I absolutely love stuffing for all my life.




The reason we are making so many pumpkin deserts is because all my family loves pumpkin, and not just love it, but LOVE pumpkin stuff.  So we made pumpkin bread, which is GF and which Jared has made before... thank you, Mrs. Stutzman, maker of the best pumpkin bread ever!



I took a break while everything was cooking, and I deserved the break.  My mom and I had been working nonstop from 10 to 1:30.  Imagine cooking for that period of time.  For my break I played a game on the DS called Carnival Games, which, by the way, is very fun.  You get to pretend to go to a real carnival.  You get tickets and get prizes and go to really fun games like you were really at a carnival.

You get cotton candy, and you get all this stuff you want.  My favorite game is The Dart game.  There are 3, but I like the one where you shoot octopuses.  It is pretty fun.  There are a bunch of different games people would enjoy.  I would recommend Carnival Games!  It's a fun game for kids.  Jared likes it, too, and so does Caleb.

Happy Thanksgiving to you!!!

4 comments:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving to all of you! Can't wait to hear how the cheescake came out. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAPPY THANKSGIVING KIDS! Did someone say cheesecake??? Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many great photos! Happy Thanksgiving to you all! :-)

    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is an excellant blog. I am a mom and this is something that we would love our kids to do. Have a look at http://www.1teachingkids.blogspot.com It brings together kids and the magic of the kitchen and food and the power of cooking in teaching kids.

    ReplyDelete