Saturday, September 18, 2010

Day 64 - Caleb Takes the Challenge with a Fresh Fruit Platter

Recipe from Jamie's Food Revolution

Fresh Fruit Platter

With Jared out to a last minute dinner with his friend, Drew, and Sophie at her friend Karissa's birthday party, Caleb stepped into the kitchen as pinch hitter.  He tackled a fresh fruit platter all by himself.  


Here's an exclusive interview with the star hitter himself...

AKCC (A Kid's Cooking Challenge):

Why did you step into the kitchen tonight?

Caleb:

The first thing is why my brother and sister couldn't cook.  My sister is at a birthday party and my brother is at a friend's house eating dinner.  So me and my mom, who is typing, cooked the recipe.  I stepped into the challenge.

It was really fun trying to cut, but I didn't do the banana because my mom ripped it and said, "Ew, this is not a very good banana."

AKCC:

What was the first thing you did?

Caleb:

First I washed my hands, then I washed the cutting board.  And I washed the fruit.  I washed the fruit because it's all dry and it wouldn't taste good if it was dry.  I washed it with cold water.


AKCC:

What did you do next?

Caleb:

I started cutting strawberries.  


When I was cutting the strawberries I had to cut the green part off.  My mom said, "Save as much of the fruit as you can."  


The next thing is we grabbed a plate, we put a cup in the middle and we put the strawberries on the side.

And then, as you know, I started cutting the plum.
  

My mom said to cut around the seed. That was kind of hard to cut around the seed because I had to tilt the kid's knife to cut around it.  For me, at least, because I'm a kid.  

But I did it.

Next I did the cantaloupe.  The cantaloupe was easy as possible.  It was easy because I cut straight, straight, straight, then cut on the bottom of it, but not on the green part. It came off it in little crooked cubes.


The next thing we did--my mom kind of did this since it was a soft banana--there were two big pieces of banana.

AKCC:

What was the most fun fruit to cut?

Caleb:

The cantaloupe was fun to cut because I got to cut straight, and then across the bottom.  It made me feel good 'cause it was easy.

AKCC:

What went in the center cup on the plate?

Caleb:

In the center cup, I put some plain yogurt.  I tasted it and I didn't like it.  We dumped it out and put in vanilla yogurt and I liked that.

  

AKCC:

What did you think of your fruit platter?


Caleb:

I loved the fruit with the yogurt, especially the cantaloupe with the yogurt 'cause it tasted great.  GGGGRRRREEEEAAATTTT!




AKCC:

Is this something you want to have again?

Caleb:


I definitely want to have it all the time, especially with the cantaloupe.  I want to have it for tomorrow's breakfast.  I just can't take it, it's sooooooooooo, soooooooooo, so good.


Ten thousand and hundred sixty-two THUMBS UP!!!




AKCC:

Do you like cooking?

Caleb:


I LOVE cooking.  I love cooking because it is fun to cut food.  That's what I like best. 

2 comments:

  1. Caleb, I think you did a great job on cutting the fruit. You definitely had some awesome help plus you were very safe. I think I'd give it two whole hands.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Caleb, awesome job little dude! I think I ate most of the fruit after you. Except the banana, it melted in my mouth because it was so soft. Good JOB CALEB-
    from - pops

    ReplyDelete